Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dent Repair Scam Returns

Periodically over the years, the Olympia Police Department has received reports of persons claiming to be in the dent repair business approaching citizens and offering their services for a low price. The “dent repairman” then does subpar work or creates a rapport with the victim that leads to further criminal activity.

These crooks tend to target seniors and have approached victims in public areas, such as shopping centers or at their homes.

We recently had another report of this type of crime. Please be cautious if someone offering dent repair or other services at a bargain price contacts you. You can check if a business is legitimate by making sure they have a state business license (http://bls.dor.wa.gov/ or 1-800-451-7985).

Amy
Amy Stull
Police Community Programs
Olympia Police Department
360-753-8049

1 comment:

  1. Yeah it happens to me in the NW Olympia Safeway parking lot today, didn't realize how much of a scam it was. I could tell something was off with these two guys but was like whatever my car is in bad shape anyway what worse could they do. What concerned me (when I looked dent scams up) is that a lot have been connected to bank account fraud. That's when I became pissed at myself and of course the skinny white looking half Mexican and regular looking Mexican about early 30s or late 20s. They were driving a nice looking blue truck. Fed me some bs story oh they wanted money for a child B day party. They kinda did a fast crappy job. If my car was new I would not have let them get away or given them some money

    ReplyDelete